Latest News

  • July Guest Speakers: Rule of Law

    Nick Clark and Jackie Charles are our Guest Speakers for the night. They represent the Rule of Law Insitutute, and will provide a spin-free presentation on the NSW Anti-Association Laws and VLAD.

  • June Guest Speaker: Sen. Leyonhjelm

    Senator David Leyonhjelm will be the guest speaker at our General meeting on 6 June to speak to us about his efforts with respect to motorcycling. Meeting starts at 7.30pm in the Phoenix Room of the...

  • New Meeting Format

    We’re changing the format of our General meetings to include regular guest speakers. All motorcyclists are welcome to attend the MCC's monthly general meetings. Topics for the next 3 months are:-...

  • New Helmet Laws

    On 11th December 2015 the use of helmets meeting International Helmet standard UN ECE 22.05 became legal for use in NSW. For more information click here

  • Cameras on Helmets

    The use of cameras on motorcycle helmets is now legal in the ACT. Also see this article by the BBC about testing helmets (including ECE22.05 motorcycle helmets) with...

  • Increased Penalties for Phone Use While Driving

    Starting during this year’s Christmas holiday, mobile phone offences will be added to double demerit periods. Also, an additional demerit point will be added to the existing standard penalty of three ...

  • New Historic Registration Rules

    On 4th September 2015 Duncan Gay, the Minister for Roads announced a new additional Historic Registration scheme to run along side the existing scheme. For more information click here

  • Putty Road Emergency Phone Locations

    The MCC has put together a pamphlet outlining the location of Emergency Phones along the Putty Road For more information click here

  • Lane Filtering legalised

    On 1st July 2014, lane filtering was legalised in NSW. The MCC of NSW has fought for this legalisation for many years. For more details click here

  • Bikers A-Z Survival Bible

    Steve Lambert has written ‘Bikers A-Z Survival Bible’ which covers great advice such as: animal awareness, braking techniques, cheat sheet, don’t follow too close and much more. See HERE for more...

  • Bylong Valley Way Improvements

    As a result of a cluster of motorcycle crashes in a short section of Bylong Valley Way, NSW Roads and Maritime Services (formerly RTA) and Mid Western Regional Council are completing improvements to the road using Federal Blackspot Funding. For more details see the files below.

  • About M.A.R.I.

    A brief history of M.A.R.I.

  • Motorcycles help keep you young: software expert

    Riding motorcycles helps keep drivers young by invigorating their brains, the scientist behind popular "Brain Training" computer software said, citing a new scientific study.

  • GIO CTP "Pillion Passenger: No" Clarification

    The Motor Accidents Authority has responded to the MCC's request for clarification on the legality of GIO's CTP policies with "Pillion Passenger: No" line item.


    The Motorcycle Accident In-Depth Study (MAIDS) is a study using the internationally agreed Case Control methodology for in-depth motorcycle crash investigations. This means that for every crashed...

Frequently Asked Questions

Lane filtering

Lane Filtering has been legal in NSW since July 2014; fully licensed riders can filter between cars up to 30 kmph. For further information see

Note: learner and provisional riders are not permitted to lane filter. Furthermore, no rider is permitted to cross the stop line at the lights — this is a $415 and 3 point offence.


The wearing of UN ECE 22.05 helmets has been legal in NSW since just before Christmas 2015. For more information see

For maximum protection in the event of a crash, it’s important that the helmet stays in place. The above link has advice on choosing a helmet that is a good fit, particularly the roll-off test. Our advice is not to purchase a helmet you haven’t actually tried on for fit and comfort.

Protective clothing

For advice on protective clothing see:- and the Motorcycle Council’s website.

Where can I ride a trail bike?

Where you can ride depends on whether the bike is registered or you have a licence. See and for a list of ride parks and circuits.

Exhaust noise

It is not illegal to fit an aftermarket exhaust, but the noise level needs to comply with the noise label that is attached to the bike. The label looks like this:-

Where can I get rider training?

The Motorcycle Council has a list of training providers and training courses.

General information

The NSW Motorcycle Riders Handbook is a good source of information on a wide range of topics.

The Motorcycle Council of NSW website is also a good source of information; alternatively, email the MCC or ring 1300 NSW MCC.

What is being done about Wire Rope Barriers?

It is not just wire rope barriers that should concern riders. No barriers currently in use are motorcycle friendly. Riders should be concerned about all barriers and where they are placed on the road side. For more information see the poplink [|Motorcycle Council Position Statement on Crash Barriers].

Where can I get those motorcycle stickers?

The Motorcycle Council produces a number of stickers such as:- ‘Motorcycle Aware Driver’, ‘Hang Up and Drive’, and ‘Motorcycling is Magic’. These are available at a number of shops and motorcycle shops, or they can be purchased from the MCCNSW's eBay store.

Where can I get cheaper CTP?

While motorcyclists in NSW have good reason to complain about the high price of greenslips (CTP), the Motor Accidents Authority have pointed out that many riders are paying more than they need to because they don't shop around.

You can check out the Motor Accidents Authority greenslip price calculator to compare the prices from all currently licensed Green Slip insurers' (but not their agents)
CTP Calculator.

I need legal advice

The Motorcycle Council can’t provide legal advice, but it can offer assistance on what are your rights and how best to proceed.

Motorway tolls

You don’t have to carry your e-tag provided your bike is listed as a motorcycle by your e-tag pro-vider. This means you won’t be charged the numberplate recognition fees.

How do I report a road hazard?

The Roads and Maritime Services have an incident reporting number 13 17 00, option 5, where you can report a road hazard.

Note that 80% of roads are the responsibility of local councils, so unless you are certain it is a State road looked after by the RMS, it may be better to report it to the Local Council.

It is also a good idea to report it to the Motorcycle Council as this could assist a fellow rider getting compensation should the hazard cause them to crash.

I’m looking for a motorcycle club to join

The Motorcycle Council has over 50 affiliated clubs, so this is a good place to start.

My query is not addressed here!

Feel free to contact the Motorcycle Council of New South Wales. Our phone number is 1300 NSW MCC (1300 679 622) and our email is